Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 40: Great Craic in Cork

“Baloney is the unvarnished lie laid on so thick you hate it. Blarney is flattery laid on so thin you love it.”
-Fulton J. Sheen


First off I'm really excited that Uncle Tom & Aunt Christy and Uncle Dan found the blog! Hopefully the Blarney stone worked and I can continuously lure you in with entertaining banter.

On Friday night at about midnight my roommate Abby and my friend Sarah convinced me to go to Cork the next morning at 8am! I'm not a huge fan of spontaneity, so I had to do a lot of self convincing. I'm so happy I went! The weather was stupidly nice, temperatures in the 50s all weekend. I'm embarrassed to say I got sunburned yesterday...in Ireland...in February.

We stayed at a hostel in Cork which was clean and had free breakfast, so infinitely better than about 75% of hostels in Europe. On Saturday we took a bus out to Blarney and yesterday we spent the day in the peninsula town of Kinsale, absolutely beautiful!

Thankfully I don't have to convince you too much, the pictures speak for themselves.


Heading to Blarney castle, so sunny!


On the grounds of Blarney, I was actually hot it was so warm out.


I feel like Blarney castle could easily be replicated for a Universal Studios attraction. Because it was so touristy, there was almost a theme park vibe.


In the dungeon! I've seen worse accommodations in Brooklyn.


The catch phrase for Blarney Castle was "terrifying." This most especially applies to the winding staircase. Don't worry, there's a rope.


Beautiful! Fantastic view of Blarney grounds and lots of sunshine.


I was pretty nervous about the actual kissing, but I couldn't chicken out or lie! Everyone wants photographic proof, and I promise you this isn't photoshoped! Also, the Blarney stone guy: strange job or the strangest job?


Blarney gardens! There were all these signs around about fairies and witches which was pretty hokey, but I enjoyed the waterfalls!


I wanted to recreate an episode of LOST or possibly Jurassic Park when we got to the heavily wooded part of Blarney. Maybe even Lord of the Rings...





Cork! It's the second largest city in Ireland but still probably smaller than Warren! Much more relaxed than Dublin and everyone was super welcoming!


Obviously we went to a Mexican restaurant in Cork. Not too bad, especially the Sangria, but you can definitely get better (and cheaper) Mexican on 422 at El Rodeo!


Streets of Cork


Kinsale is so much like Florida! Colorful and filled with old people!


Kinsale bay, reminded me a lot of New England.


Day trip to the tropics! I can almost see myself getting sunburned in this one.


Then we boarded Captain Hook's ship and snapped a couple photos.


What blog post would be complete without a food picture? (sangria doesn't count!) Although I think I'm still partial to the Union Oyster House in Boston, Fishy Fishy Cafe is definitely some of the best seafood I've ever had! I had the pan fried John Dory over basmati rice with vegetable tempura. I'm not sure what was in the sauce but it was fabulous!

Overall, I really like Cork, but I'm happy I'm spending most of my time in Dublin, lots more to see and learn! Mom we should definitely go to the southwest, to Kinsale or a similar town! The area looks exactly like how I pictured Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment