Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 43: motivated tourist

To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance.
- Oscar Wilde


Indulging in my Thursday morning routine of watching Veronica Mars and drinking tea. Similar to my almost every night routine of watching Scrubs and drinking tea. Basically, when I'm watching TV, I don't even feel like I'm Ireland. As the commercials say "Those Yanks sure know how to make us laugh!"

Last night went to Captain America's, Ireland's response to Hard Rock Cafe. I went with my roommate Abby and my friend from Missouri Christina and her boyfriend who's on leave from the Army met us there. We sat next to a picture that Bono took in Africa. I'm not saying I'm a photography expert, but assuming he had a pretty nice camera I wasn't impressed.

It was karaoke night, lots of songs that we didn't know that sounded like the UK/Ireland equivalent to "Build Me Up Buttercup." They also sang a lot of songs from Grease and Oasis.

Last Friday I went on a little self-led tour of Dublin's fair city, thanks to these Ipod tours that the Dublin tourism office offers on their web site. I think I might do another one tomorrow morning, it's a good way to be productive when flying solo.



This is the interior of the Dublin court house, I opted to just snap a couple photos in the entrance rather than pay for the 3 euro tour.



The courtyard of Dublin castle. When I walked into the open space there was no one there and it kind of freaked me out. So, I decided to sit on a bench until someone walked into the courtyard. I think I was eerily alone there for like 10 minutes, where are all the other tourists?



View of Dublin castle from the "black pool" garden.



Here is the gatehouse overlooking the garden. This garden is apparently the origin of Dublin's name. Now its inlaid with snakes in a celtic knot, but originally it was just a basin of earth. When the Vikings came over they were based in this area and noticed that because it rained all the time this spot was a constant "black pool." I guess Dublin comes from the viking word for "black pool." Fun facts.



St. Patrick's Cathedral



This kind of cracks me up. It's a sign that's supposed to mark a well where St. Patrick baptized people. There's another sign next to it that basically says there's not enough proof, but there is an old well here! This spot is right next to St. Patrick's Cathedral in the church's garden which the Guinness family commissioned.

Class today and then some kicking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment