Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 44: Pillage and Plunder!

Be your friend's true friend.
Return gift for gift.
Repay laughter with laughter again but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal, Book of Viking Wisdom


Self-led tourism again! This time it was around Viking/Medieval Dublin, but I opted out of the Viking museum/Christ Church tour for a time when my roommate Abby can go with me. I woke up this morning feeling a little lethargic, so I tried to get out of the apartment before I convince myself otherwise.


Merrion again! I love this park and its so close to my apartment. It's open until 6pm now, last night Abby and I walked a few laps around it before dinner. In July it stays open until 9:30pm, I heard that it stays light in Ireland until 10pm in the summer months. I hope it wasn't just the locals playing on my gullibility.


This building still stands from the Medieval city and once housed Sunlight soap manufacturing. The engravings show men dirtying clothes and then women cleaning the garments. Typical. The engravings were also used as an advertisement for soap, since it wasn't necessarily a basic household item in Medieval Dublin.


This is the oldest house in Dublin on the oldest street, Fishamble. Parts of the house date from (I think) the 17th century. Also the house has been passed down in the same family for over 250 years.


Christ's Church Cathedral, a Viking settlment site before taken by the church.


The interior of St. Francis'/ Adam and Eve Church. Because it's a Franciscan friary it was simply named St. Francis originally, but the only Church entrance was through Adam and Eve's pub. The pub name stuck.


The Brazen Head, the oldest Pub in Dublin! I don't know if you can read the sign, but it says established 1198! That's history! The man standing in front seems irritated that I'm taking this photo.


This statue is of Handel and is located in the courtyard of an apartment complex. Originally this was the site of a concert hall and was where Handel's Messiah was performed for the first time ever!


Four Courts. Thank goodness for sunshine.

More touristy things planned this weekend! For now drinking some tea and watching Yankee TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment