Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 126: Mod Squad

“The strangeness will wear off and I think we will discover the deeper meanings in modern art.”
-Jackson Pollock


Went to the Irish Museum of Modern Art today with Genevieve and Christina, and Jackson Pollock is right, lots of the art was quite strange. Actually one of his pieces was one of the most tame in the collection. We took a tour of the museum which shed some light on the pieces, I couldn't even begin to understand some of the works on my own.

One of my favorites was a room full of sand and gravel with two beds. Next to the beds were ipods and when you put the headphones on you heard the artist quoting lines from Waiting for Godot with the ocean in the background. I don't really get it, but I like any exhibit that actually encourages me to lay down and take a rest. There were origami, photographs of nuns, paintings that slide off the canvas, pretty interesting stuff.

Of course no pics inside, but I snapped some of the building, the former Royal Hospital, and the beautiful surrounding garden.


A view of the main chapel building from the main courtyard.


A rabbit statue in the courtyard, it reminds me of a children's book character. The old rabbit that said "Winter's a comin' its time for bedding down," I hope that book is still laying around somewhere.


Me with the hospital gardens in the background, its like a mini Irish Versailles. Soldiers were kept in the hospital after they retired, probably wheeled out a couple times a week to look at the perfectly trimmed shrubbery.


Overview of garden.


Outside view of the Royal Hospital/ Modern Art Museum.


I tried to think of some mythology this statue would fit into, but I guess its just your typical woman with severed head.


Gen and Christina, we were hoping there would be a hedge maze.


Drinking in the lilac.

Another nice day in Dublin, glad I got to do lots of walking and site seeing. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a break from tourism, or at least give my walking legs a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment