Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 124: Remember

The glory of the old Irish nation, which in our hour will grow young and strong again. Should we fail, the country will not be worth more than it is now. The sword of famine is less sparing than the bayonet of the soldier.
Thomas F. Meagher


I don't go up to the north side of Dublin often, but when I do I cut by Merrion Square, over the Liffey and past the Famine remembrance sculpture. The first time I encountered it was at night, I found it very moving and a bit eerie at the same time. Its a lot like the Korean war memorial in DC, the effigies are on street level which is actually very rare.

My teacher said that it was made for another city, but they found it too depressing, so they shipped it off to Dublin. Not sure how true this is, but I can attest to the fact that its depressing. However, I think its fitting at the same time.














I thought this graffiti was interesting, kind of like a Banksy piece. The briefcase says Thug Life and there's a recycle sign that says Karma.


The bridge in the distance is the millennium bridge, the pirate ship is right in front of where Abby used to work. She told me that a guy actually lives on it.

Another beautiful day in the Dub, only about 60 today.

No comments:

Post a Comment