Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 106: Savage Waves in Dunfanaghy

"It's like the mafia, once you're in, you're in. There's no getting out."
-Kelly Slater on surfing


Paige and I both agreed that we needed to see Donegal before calling our trip to Ireland complete. We tacked on a couple extra days in Dunfanagy at the Corcreggan Mill House hostel. It was a super nice hostel, just a little chilly and far from town. One night we walked into town, the other couple times we went in we took a taxi which was especially needed after surfing!

I've been wanting to try surfing for years. The girl at our hostel in Belfast used to work at Corcreggan Mill and gave us the name of her friend who does surf lessons in Dunfanaghy. He was great, extremely helpful and non-judgmental which was great. He would actually come out into the water, help you get balanced on the board and then guide you into the wave, it was fantastic. I didn't stand up, I didn't think that I would but I caught lots of waves and went up to one knee at one point...before falling into the water. haha I had some pretty great wipe outs.


Here's the hostel, so homey! There was lots of room to relax, a really nice common room and a great kitchen where Paige and I cooked dinner the second night. Really cozy place, I would definitely come here with the family!


These cows were very curious. They sprinted over when we walked by their pen and then followed us the whole way. We'd stop and they would just stare. I'm thinking that it may have been close to their feeding time, either that or they were very lonely.


Sunset in Dunfanaghy.


Paige with the town in the background. It's extremely small, I think only about 350 people live there, but there are 5 pubs! We liked Molly's the best, they had some great live music by a bonfire in the back. We got a drink with a few people from our hostel.


Surf time!! I don't have any pictures of me actually surfing, I know paige took an after picture, this is before. I'll have to see if I can get the other one of me! The biggest battle was definitely getting this baby on, I felt like Catwoman! I know it sounds crazy, but with this suit on (plus gloves and water shoes) its not cold at all. The cold part is taking the suit off.


Marble Hill beach where we surfed. It wasn't crowded at all, and the waves were as big as any I've seen in NJ and Florida! Who knew, apparently Northern Ireland is like surf capital of Europe.


Here's the view from the front yard of the hostel.


There was an old boat on the grounds that overlooked the bay.


Paige's idea.


So many sheep! I feel like I've seen the sheep grow up while I've been here. Just a couple months ago the lambs were so tiny and now they're almost full grown.


Mountains behind our hostel.


This guy was the perfect model even though I was talking to him about cheeseburgers.


Garden at the Mill House.


Paige in the sanctuary area. Brendan who owns the hostel used to be in the army, now he's really into yoga, religion, and other spiritual practices. Lots of the area around the hostel is reserved for quiet and meditation, it's really peaceful.

Going to Donegal after Belfast was the perfect way to wind down from the craziness of the city! I'd love to go to Donegal again, it's the Ireland you see in pictures. I'm also really proud that I tried surfing, my arms just started to feel normal again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment