Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day 115: Modern miracles, dead zoos and canals!

The bright stick trapped, the breeze adding a third
Party to the couple kissing on an old seat,
And a bird gathering materials for the nest for the Word
Eloquently new and abandoned to its delirious beat.
-Patrick Kavanagh "Canal Bank Walk"


I've been keeping myself busy these past couple weeks. Unfortunately most of my social activities have involved saying goodbye to friends. Clint headed back to Tennessee on Thursday morning, I spent last night hanging out with Paige who left this morning, and today I got coffee with Mae who leaves tomorrow! I like it this way, then when I go there won't be anyone to leave behind, I think I'll be ready to be home then.

I spent all day today and most of yesterday studying for my exam next week. I'm not extremely worried about it, I just have to catch up after a rather reluctant semester.

Last weekend Norah and I witnessed quite a miraculous site. I've always been confused by how boats go along the canal, there are lots of drop-offs and bridges. It's a rather tricky business and I won't even try to explain it, but basically they raise and lower the water level to get the boats through. We got to see it happen!


Going through the first bridge


Some ship captain types opening the bridge.


Hanging out in the holding area while the water level rises.


This picture is from Howth. I went last Sunday with Paige and Clint. We had some delicious sausage rolls and just walked along the ocean. That place is always looking beautiful!


The Dead Zoo! I can't wait to go explore this place again, its quite an amazing museum. It's actually called the Natural History Museum, but everyone calls it the Dead Zoo. Most of the animals are from the 19th century which is a little freaky. Here's an adorable little squirrel to start it off.


Norah is clearly amazed. I'm a little afraid of whatever that is on the ceiling.


A happy Badger family. Reminds me of the Redwall books. I love that they pose the animals to make it seem more "natural."


These are mom's favorite monkeys because they remind her of some of her favorite Wizard of Oz scenes. Right Mom?


I wonder how big its body was.


Irish Wolfhound! Its facing a wolf, you can see how its far superior. I can't wait to be walking one of these babies around and terrify kids who think its a pony. They're such cool animals, they were originally bred to tear men off their horses or out of chariots! Plus, I always wanted a dog that looked like me.


Chicken rabbit. Seriously, what else could it be?


Baby face seal.


Ol' Sticky. Me, Kate, Maura and Shannon are big fans of these little guys.


Baby!


Ok this guy isn't dead. As far as graffiti goes he's very much alive! He's been hanging out on the side of a coffee shop on Harcourt street for ages, but everyday I'm finding him somewhere else. If I had to rank graffiti art on adorableness, this guy would definitely be #1!

No comments:

Post a Comment