Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 13: Back to school

A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad. ~Theodore Roosevelt

Classes started yesterday at Dublin Institute of Technology and I'm already thrilled! No sarcasm! I'm taking all electives this semester so my schedule is basically filled with candy and I'm ready to dig in. The schedule looks as follows:

Monday: European Politics 10-11am and 2-3pm
Gaelic 5-6pm

Tuesday: Irish Cultural Studies 4-6pm

Wednesday: Critical Examination of Popular Culture 9-11am
World Cinema 3-5pm

Thursday: Irish Media History 2-4pm

I purposefully picked classses that I probably wouldn't be able to compare to Seton Hall courses, I want something completely different! European Politics was good yesterday, but intimidating! I'm barely passing on US politics, so this is definitely out of my comfort zone. Gaelic was terrific though, I can tell I'm going to love that course! I'll try to wow you all with some dialogue later, i can now say hello, ask someone how they are, and introduce myself. Handy.

Because Kate said I was boring, I'm going to give the going out pictures first! This one is from O'Donaghue's a pub a few blocks away from my apartment and a local favorite!

The redhead guy with the chicken was named Connor and was the band's singer. He was asking us about the states and telling us about how he lived in Australia for awhile before coming back to Dublin. The two older men alternated between guitar, banjo, fiddle, and accordian, very talented guys! They sang so many songs I know like "Ferryman," "Dirty Old Town," "Tell Me Ma," "7 Drunken Nights" and "Black Velvet Band" just to name a few! They were impressed/freaked out that I knew all the words.

Moving away from the pub and into the clubs, here are a couple pictures from last Wednesday's night at Dicey's Garden. The club is half indoor, half outdoor and about a 5 minute walk from my apartment with 2 euro drink specials.

Mirror Ceiling

The classy ladies to the left of yours truly are Marie and Froila, both from Toronto and studying hospitality management at DIT. Less classy and to the right is Erica, my four day fake roommate, and a random Irish kid that was hanging by the bathroom and wanted to jump in the picture. At least its a good picture of me!

Now on to my more domestic pictures, Kate you can stop here if you like.

First, I got this coat from a vintage store called the Harlequin off of O'Connell street for only 15 euro. It's just my size and all wool, so I've been keeping warm on those late walks back from school.


One thing I love about Dublin is the baguettes! Kind of ironic, I know, but they're always so fresh and cost about 30 cents. So, this morning I bought one and made myself an egg and mushroom sandwhich with American cheese and fresh ground pepper.



And of course, what meal is complete without a cup of tea? Fresh bread always makes me feel like I'm eating like a king!

I also bought some "shorties," shortbread cookies and tried them with peanut butter and pure honey. I think I just found my favorite dessert! 3 euro for a weeks supply (that is if I don't eat a week's supply today!)

More to come soon!

1 comment:

  1. wouldn't be a blog from Meghan without a picture of food. You're probably surprised that i'm up at this ungodly hour. My professor thought it would be funny to give us a test at 8am. Anyways, I'd have to say my favorite part was the Irish band and the random Irish fellow that jumped in your picture looks like you guys are having fun. Now it's back to the gritty grind haha you'll have to teach me some Gaelic!
    Love and Miss you!
    P.S. Love the wool coat!

    ReplyDelete