Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 84: High Culture

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the cave-man had known how to laugh, History would have been different.
-Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray


All the cultural readers got together with my family, teachers, and friends before I got here and outlined an optimal entertainment schedule, tailored to my interests. This is the only way I can explain all the great events I've been attending this month, thanks Dublin, you're really doing me a solid!

Yesterday was "In Handel's Day" a celebration of the performance of Handel's "Messiah" which premiered right here in Dublin on April 13th! For this one day festival, Temple Bar hosts a series of events, most notably Handel on the street in the very spot where "Messiah" was first performed. With near 60 degree weather, there was no excuse to miss this

Today I was in for a great treat, read Dorian Gray in one afternoon. Bewley's Cafe, a terrific restaurant, coffee shop, and theater here in Dublin city center is having a high tea with dramatized excerpts from Dorian Gray this month to coincide with One City One Book. The tea was splendid and the show, even more charming than the scones.


The white arch behind the choir is the original entrance to the concert hall where "Messiah" was performed. Now it's an apartment building.


Lovely songbirds.


The lads.
I also got some video of the Hallelujah chorus, as well as the tenor solo. When I have some spare time I'll get those up!


Tulips today in St. Stephen's green!


Tea food! Not as elaborate as Alice's Tea Cup, but still filling and delicious! I especially liked the cucumber sandwiches and the chocolate muffin...which was really just a cake in muffin form.


The three actors performing in the James Joyce balcony. The boy who played Dorian in the center remained in character the whole time while the two men who played Basil and Lord Henry were also a variety of other characters.


"If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that-for that-I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give! I would give my soul for that!"


"You, who know all the secrets of life, tell me how to charm Sibyl Vane to love me! I want to make Romeo jealous, I want the dead lovers of the world to hear our laughter, and grow sad. I want a breath of our passion to stir their dust into consciousness, to wake their ashes into pain. My God, Harry, how I worship her!"


"Wicked, wrinkled, and loathsome of visage."

Needless to say, it's been a good couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment