Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 77: Non-Beatles Liverpool

My love of New York, is something to do with Liverpool. There is the same quality of energy in both cities.

John Lennon, 1971


I understand you John, New York and Liverpool were separated at birth it seems, and now Liverpool has a little place in my heart! This city is just spectacular, I could easily see myself living here. The people, the culture, the prices are all great! Especially the people, they are the most friendly bunch in Europe yet, I made so many friends over the course of our three day trip. I feel like I know more Liverpoolians (I think I just made that word up) than Irish.

I'm probably going to have to do three posts for Liverpool. This one is all the non-Beatles pictures. I'll do a Beatles post from my camera next and then tomorrow I'll get pictures from my friend Paige who took a lot of pictures with us in them at Beatles sites.


The dockside at Liverpool where some of the big shipping offices are still situated. This was the first stop on our walking tour with Allen, an extremely nice guy who does tours of Liverpool on the weekends. He works in construction, grew up in the city and is basically a Liverpool historian. I'd go on his tour again in a heartbeat.


Renaissance style architecture on the shipping office.


A typical fancy pub in Liverpool. Allen said that much more money went into the construction of pubs than into the construction of housing.


An old Pirate Ship in Albert Dock.


Allen outside of the protestant cathedral.


The outside of the protestant cathedral in Liverpool. Allen said its the fourth largest church in the world.


A taste of the ornate stained glass inside.


So big!


Abby and I went to the international slavery museum, an enlightening and sobering look at not only the history of slavery but the history of racism as well. These are some of the tribal masks brought from Africa to Liverpool during the slave trade.


Why not paint merry Christmas on your slaves for your holiday card? There were lots of very strange pictures like this one. My favorite part of the museum was when I got to talk to a local school teacher who was in the exhibit sharing the story of her great grandfather who was a slave that stayed in Liverpool.


"They will remember that we were sold, but not that we were strong. They will remember that we were bought, but not that we were brave." - William Prescott, former slave


Here's the shopping in city center in Liverpool. This is just a portion of it, their downtown is absolutely huge! This part kind of reminded me of the student union at Kate's school.


Delicious cappacino I had at Bella Italia, where we celebrated Paige's 21st birthday with some great Italian!


Paige and Abby in fab four pizza, we stopped here during our self-led pub crawl on Paige's birthday. The pizza was delicious and even better, very cheap! The guy working at the pizza place told us how crowded it gets on weekends and we chatted with a couple club bouncers who were telling us horror stories from crazy weekends. Liverpool people love to tell stories.


Albert docks, a pretty advanced structure for its time!


Outside of the Roman Catholic cathedral, I feel like Blessed Sacrament ripped off some ideas from this architecture design. Abby didn't like it, she said it was too much of a spaceship.


So beautiful! Not as imposing from the inside as it is from the outside.


St. Joseph's chapel in one of the annexes of the cathedral, I loved that it was all wood carvings and low lighting.


Alright, one Beatles picture! The airport was renamed recently to John Lennon Airport.

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment