Sunday, August 22, 2010

And in the end- staking out land for my Alpaca farm on Inish Mor

"It's well you know what call I have. It's well you know it's a lonesome thing to be passing small towns with the lights shining sideways when the night is down, or going in strange places with a dog noising before you and a dog noising behind, or drawn to the cities where you'd hear a voice kissing and talking deep love in every shadow of the ditch, and you passing on with an empty, hungry stomach failing from your heart." — Christy

From J.M. Synge's Playboy of the Western World


Don't think that I think of Inis Mor as an inhospitable and negative place, this is just a rather beautiful quote from the Synge play that takes place on the island. To say that I'm obsessed with Inis Mor would be an understatement. Returning to Inis Mor is motivation enough to get back to Ireland.

This post is pretty picture heavy as a result, but I still feel like I didn't capture some key moments, most likely because I was having too much fun to remember a camera.


Upon arrival we checked into the Kilronan Hostel (just as great the second time around), and then got hooked up with a jaunty car ride. We were lucky enough to have Patrick who was born and raised on the island, and his horse Grace who I'm sure is a native resident. Here Joan is chatting with Patrick.


Beautiful day, beautiful island.


Connemara pony, Annie and I pet some that came up to the fence.


Goats chained together so they can't escape.


The road runs along the ocean.


Mom jauntying along.


On the way up to Dun Aengus, it's worth the hike I promise!


Overview of the fort. I know I ranted about its ancient beauty in my last Inis Mor post. We went later in the day and in June so it was even better this time! No crowds, more sun which made the chilly ocean air a lot more pleasant.


Surrounding fields.


View from the altar atop Dun Aengus.


Mom realizing how close she is to a cliff face.


Taking a break on the way down from the fort, didn't want to keep Patrick waiting too long. He did seem pretty comfortable with his cup of tea and paper in the cafe.


Annie in the window of an old church at the foot of the hill. Not sure on the history of the church, I think its around 300-400 years old.


Carving over the altar.






Outside view of the church.


Patrick and Grace! We even recommended him the next day to the fresh batch of tourists.


German beer I got at Joe Watty's, probably in my top three favorite pubs in Ireland! After this I just stuck to Guinness because, as Joan and Mom pointed out, this fancy shmancy beer kind of tasted like Pabst.


Elvis stag party on Inish Mor. Nothing out of the ordinary here.


Mom and Joan loving Joe Watty's.


Goodmorning! Waking up early, enjoying tea on the patio before heading off on the next adventure. Unfortunately, this involved saying goodbye to Inish Mor.

No comments:

Post a Comment