Sunday, August 15, 2010

And in the end- Kinsale and back to Dublin

When it's over, is it really over?
-Sugar Ray


Our last leg of the trip took us from Killarney to Kinsale which took about two hours to drive. It would have been a shorter trip, but we got a bit turned around (come on google maps!) and had to stop in this little pub in the middle of nowhere. It was like a scene from a movie, everything went silent when Joanie, Anna, and I walked in. Even though it was only about 5pm, the pub was rather colorful, and we were the only ladies in the place.

After getting some rambling directions from a gentleman who didn't leave his bar stool, his friend followed us outside and said "Don't listen to him." Since this man was able to stand and walk, his credibility immediately proved itself. He got us set on the right track and we made it to the Old Presbytery in no time.


We arrived rather late in the evening so first things first, find a pub! We went to the Seanachai and enjoyed two nights of fantastic music as well as many pints of Guinness. Well, the Guinness was mostly just me and Joan.


Long night at the Seanachai...good thing there's virtually no traffic.


Bright and early with Scampi from the Old Presbytery. Speaking of which, this B&B was FANTASTIC! I'm going to go ahead and say it was my favorite. The rooms were bright and airy, plenty of sunshine, and breakfast was phenomenal. One of the owners, Phillip, is a former chef and serves up a fantastic crepe as well as savory scrambled eggs. I was more than happy to wake up both mornings for breakfast!

We also visited the farmer's market in town, I had a great vegetarian burrito, we met a woman from the South who moved to Ireland to start a baking business and also a possible extended relative who runs a preserve business, Flynn's Kitchen. We picked up a few jars for gifts.


Dinner at The Shack, a great little restaurant in downtown Kinsale. I asked for grated Parmesan with my meal, and felt bad when I saw one of the cooks run to the local market to pick it up!

Edit: On a second look I realized this is a little bakeshop that we visited, not The Shack, although my recommendation for the Shack still stands!


Inside of the Carmelite Friary. The friary has beautiful woodwork, it's perched atop the highest hill in Kinsale with fantastic views of the harbor.





Mom and I in front of Kinsale harbor.


Annie and Joan hanging out with one of our many puppy friends.


And here we are back in Dublin! We had nothing more than an afternoon, one that we spent checking out the Bloomsday festivities. I took some time hanging around the canal, Joan, Mom and I went for a drink at a corner pub on Baggot Street.

It was hard waking up in the morning to leave, one because I didn't want to face a full day of traveling, and two because it was heartbreaking to part with Dublin. (Although I think it would have been even harder for me to see my mom go and me stay.) Even two months later its hard to believe that I'm already back in America, although parts of Ireland are starting to feel more dream than reality.

It's good to be home, but I'm already ready for a trip back. Ireland definitely hasn't seen the last of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment