Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 4: Delicious Dublin

One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. ~Luciano Pavarotti

I must say one of the best things about Dublin so far is the food! The first night I met up with Norah she made a fantastic soup using all fresh ingredients from the market (she is far more gifted in the culinary arts than I). One of my favorite parts of the meal was a loaf of honey rye bread and butter, the bread here is just fantastic! Even the cheapest loaves taste like they're from panera, and so fresh!

Here is my grocery loot from a couple days ago

Notice how tiny and cute and impractical the milk sizes are? Dairy products expire in like three days here, as Missy informed me before departure, because they don't use the same preservatives as American food.

I've been eating the porridge and soup the past few days for every meal I've eaten here, the soup is especially good if you add a little milk and cut up some fresh carrots!

Fruit and fibre is fantastic! It tastes like cobbler cereal! It's like raisin bran, but in addition to raisins there are also dried apples and bananas, quite excellent.

But here's my lifesaving favorite...Panda Butter!


It says "American Style" right on the label, and it is pretty convincing! I've tried to avoid just eating it straight out of the jar like I do with Skippy and Jiff!

Catching up with Norah has been fantastic, we've done a lot of bonding at this coffee shop by her apartment and my school called The Bald Barista. It's owned by a (bald) Australian who likes to call everyone "gorgeous." He's also a fantastic artist as evidenced by Norah's latte and my white mocha...

Last night I had my first taste of Indian food, in Ireland nonetheless, and today Norah and I tried a fish and chips place literally right around the corner from my apartment. They have a five euro fish and chips takeout special, I'm already looking forward to Lent Fridays.

All these fantastic ingredients and meals have got me inspired to whip up something creative in the kitchen, maybe I'll look up a soup recipe or go all-out crazy and get some walnuts for my porridge. We'll see.

Tonight I went to Whitefriar church. The 7pm mass isn't too popular, probably because there wasn't any music and the pews are extremely uncomfortable. They somehow designed them so you HAVE to sit up straight, its an engineering miracle probably patented by the Catholic church.



2 comments:

  1. Meghan's blog in Ireland:
    Not the typical trip to Europe I would say...Instead of having pictures up of pubs and clubs there are pictures of food and a church. typical, haha for my sake i hope this gets a little more spicy.
    Your loving sister,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg Tesco is the bomb.com, yo.

    LOVING THE BLOG. keep it coming, chica!

    ^also, lulz Kate, bahahaha

    ReplyDelete