Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 1: Just Touched Down in Dublin Town

There are only two emotions in a plane: boredom and terror. - Orson Welles

Thankfully my travel experience was mostly just plain boring. From Pittsburgh to JFK, and then the 7 hour flight from JFK to Dublin went swimmingly. I had two seats to myself and attempted to maneuver myself into something resembling a common sleeping position, but only succeeding in partially falling into the aisle as a man rocking his baby walked by. I opted out of the in-flight movies, read an Irish Times, surprisingly enjoyed the pasta and mimicked rest for four hours.

I was relieved this afternoon once I was completely moved into my apartment, even if my closet doesn't have a bar in it to hang things up. I like my band tees perfectly uncreased. Seriously, I did bring one nice outfit that deserves a hanger!

Besides that, the room is pretty nice. I'm the first of four to arrive. Plans changed, I was supposed to just have one roommate but now there's four and I'm actually kind of excited. Let's be serious, I don't have friends right now so being forced to socialize with two more people isn't a bad thing. I'm enjoying my night alone to settle in and watch Friends, Scrubs and How I Met Your Mother on ITV. So much for culture.

I walked over by St. Stephen's Green, which I can't wait to explore more. I got a pre-pay cell phone which will rarely be used, but I kept reaching frantically into my coat pocket thinking I lost my phone...oh, wait, I don't have one. Only 40 euros to replace that phantom limb. I had big plans of going to the market, but, alas, at 5pm I was ready for bed. I'm going to make it to at least 10pm!

The shower was interesting at first...
But I figured it out, it's actually kind of better than American showers because the bathtub and the shower head are separate water connections. That's what was tripping me up!

Rest of my room...



Off to see Norah!!


No comments:

Post a Comment